Friday 10 January 2014

Last-Week Links: 10 January 2014


Before I went to Scotland, I cleared out my blog roll and deleted 2000 emails. I felt fantastic for it. Now, of course, I'm drowning in them again and feel like I've barely scratched the surface of all the good things on the internet this week. I'm also feeling slightly behind the times by only just posting the Leith Clark x Warby Parker collection, dream stuff for girls like me who wear glasses. Zoe Kazan looks predictably adorable in the press shots.


I'm not as behind the times, however, as this Parisian apartment, its contact left intact from when its owner fled Paris for the south of France in 1942. Check out the extreme taxidermy and the Boldini portrait of the apartment's owner.


My personal new discovery is the Voices of East Anglia blog - retro pop culture. Masses of stuff on there to explore but this Swingers and Singers in the Kitchen book especially appealed. On the subject of popular stars choosing to impart their wisdom to us mere mortals, American Age's piece on a Joan Rivers book chimed with me as I'd been thinking about attitudes to ageing in beauty books - vintage and otherwise - thanks to all the ridiculous press about the new French Women Don't Get Facelifts book.


Much cheerier than people telling us we should have facelifts is this gorgeous Jaeger leaflet, taken from Shelf Appeal's marvellous collection.


You can get British pin-up style in your bedroom, or your bathroom, or wherever else you might like thanks to this new blinds collection, featuring David Wright's 'lovelies' of the 40s (via Lobster and Swan). I've picked out the least risque image from the collection - it originally dates to 1943.


I've also been drooling over the photography of the shop Where I Was From, found thanks to Thrills and Frills. It's a masterclass in how to make vintage look utterly contemporary. With the exception of this piece.


For proper contemporary design and for those interested in dressmaking, there's a JW Anderson pattern available to download on SHOWstudio.

Finally, to return to one of my reoccurring topics, Girls starts again soon - exciting! (I'm going so slowly with Season Six of Mad Men, a bit disappointed). The Telegraph interviewed the show's costume designer Jenn Rogien on her career to date. I do enjoy an unconventional career path.

Have a lovely weekend, whatever it entails. I'm off the theatre tonight to see an adaptation of Strangers On a Train - hopefully there will at least be some late 40s fashions for me to lust over. Aside from that, it's the usual January-style action plan: some exercise, some clearing of my wardrobe, and hopefully some classic films. For more January inspiration, you could take a read of this post I wrote for Domestic Sluttery featuring some of the UK's most fun short courses and classes.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I am excited about Girls - i read that the first few episodes would be available to watch on YouTube, but when I clicked they were only available for those in the US, booh! I was also a bit unsure about season 6 of Mad Men. I began to find the Don storyline a bit repetitive and found him more unlikeable. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boo... I'm holding out for the DVD so I can binge watch, though I think I've read almost too many of the plot lines already. Yeah, there's been a few good episodes (like Betty and Don at the camp) but I haven't been whizzing through it like I did the other series...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...