Friday 2 August 2013

July on Last-Year Girl and Last-Week Links: 2 August 2013


Oh, hello August. We're well into the swing of summer now and I've done a little summary of my July content at the end of this post in case you missed anything because of something like, well, getting away from your computer to enjoy the sunshine! There's also links to some of my newly listed books in my Etsy store, possibly useful if you're after some holiday reading.

Perhaps the most widely circulated vintage story on the internet this week (and you can see why) is the Tales of Endearment photo shoot, featuring the immense Diane von Furstenberg archive. Just one of the stunning images is shown above. "I don't need to wear vintage", DvF proclaims in the feature, "I am vintage!". Well, quite. 


A contemporary of Diane, Antonio Lopez, seems to be having a little moment in the spotlight too. A survey of his broad range of work has opened in New York, while his illustrations have been used for the latest MAC collection. I love how the campaign for the collection reunites "Antonio's girls": Jerry Hall, Pat Cleveland and Marisa Berenson

I thought this Business of Fashion feature on some of the florists who behind some of fashion's most fabulous displays was fascinating. AnOther's series of profiles of modern cultural curators also includes a florist, Kally Ellis of McQueen, but it was the profile with set designer, and founder of the Museum of British Folklore, Simon Costin that really appealed (found via Worn Through) - I look forward to seeing the rest of the profiles in this series!

I poured over the fashions in A Time To Be Born earlier this week, so perhaps no surprise I loved the hairpin's breakdown of Scarlett O'Hara's decision making over what dress to wear to the Twelve Oaks Barbecue. And, if you are a fan of interwar British books, you're bound to have virtually visited a few Lyons Corner Houses over the course of your reading. Fur Coat has pulled together some of their literary appearances.


Britain at leisure in the 1960s and 70s is well documented thanks to the postcards of John Hinde. There's an exhibition at the Photographers Gallery too. The postcard shows a now unrecognisable Battersea Park in the 1960s.


I guess Britain at leisure could also be classed as the inspiration behind my lust items of the week. As I've well documented on this blog, I'm partial to a bit of Northern Soul so I feel compelled to get something from the new Fred Perry x Twisted Wheel collection. But do I go for the more obvious bowling bag, or the slightly more clandestine rose print shirt? Decisions, decisions. 

And I enjoyed learning the sweet story of Honey Ltd. on Rookie. What a lovely story of female friendship. The song sounds pretty perfect in the sunshine too. Have a groovy friendship-filled weekend.


***

THIS MONTH ON LAST-YEAR GIRL:

* I read all about Vogue in the 1970s and 80s in Grace Mirabella's In and Out of Vogue, and 1940s fashions in Dawn Powell's A Time To Be Born




NEW BOOKS ON LAST-YEAR GIRL BOOKS





* And a fabulous photography book: Photographers and their Images by Fi McGhee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...