Tuesday 6 September 2011

September issues

I'm feeling a bit like a failure this year. Like many people I know, September always feels like the proper start of the year to me. The season of the things I find the most fun: hibernating reading and eating, embracing wholesome pursuits like walking, sewing and baking, and cosying up in colourful tights, nice knitwear and new coats. Normally by this time a new school bag will have been bought, my pencils sharpened, and the list of new clothes I want drawn up.

This year, it's crept up on me. I've mainly been working bloody hard and feeling annoyed about not having time to do much else. I escaped to the wonderful End of the Road festival at the weekend, where I experienced the novelty of feeling the sun on my face and when we came back - bam - it was autumn.

To calm my upset about not having devoted enough time to preparing for the new season, I spent a good deal of time on the internet yesterday trying to find my ideal autumn buys. I got a bit stuck and couldn't find what I had pictured in my head. What I really want is a good quality pencil skirt, so I can pretend I'm a Pulp-style minx, and a non-twee dotty blouse: part of the myth that this year I will pull off being grown-up and sophisticated (if you spot any good ones, let me know). As an indication that perhaps this year won't be the year I will pull off being grown-up and sophisticated, I also spent time making this heart themed polyvore set. I already have one pair of shoes with hearts on them - does a 31-year-old need a second pair? Or a matching blouse and jumper?

No. But how my own heart desires them.


I heart Autumn

Sonia by Sonia Rykiel red top
£315 - matchesfashion.com

Sonia by Sonia Rykiel heart sweater
$295 - net-a-porter.com

Skirt
£120 - urbanoutfitters.co.uk

Peter Jensen slip on shoes
$293 - asos.com

4 comments:

  1. A failure? You're absolutely anything but.

    Mostly, you're fabulousness personified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you!
    I am total a failure in the realising what month/season it is department though - completely freezing and soaked through today!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freezing and soaked through maybe, but I bet you LOOKED hot. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely sharing your feelings at the moment. Also, I want those shoes a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...