Thursday 11 July 2013

Last-Year Buys: Black and White Delights: Workers for Freedom, Kat Maconie and ASOS


After weeks of dreaming about Hawaiian holidays, and inventing imaginary travel wardrobes, now that we've had a week of proper summer weather, for some reason everything I've bought recently is in the not-so-tropical shades of black and white.



Like this midi check-print skirt which I bought almost immediately after seeing it in one of Domestic Sluttery's sales round-ups. All the skirts I buy these days seem to be midi length - I like the feel of all that fabric swishing around me (I can imagine why how skirts of Dior's New Look felt so deliciously good). I wore this to the opening of the Club to Catwalk 80s London Fashion exhibition on Monday as my own mini-nod to some of the wonderful designers such as Body Map and The Cloth who enjoyed working in black and white. 


This coat was purchased as a direct result of that exhibition as well. It's by Workers For Freedom, some of the designers featured in the show, and when I saw it hanging in a charity shop, I couldn't leave it behind. I know it looks like nothing in this shot but it's great fun to wear - when I put it on I instantly feel like a cool kid, skulking around after my art class. 


It also makes me long to grow my hair long to emulate the style of the very stylish woman in their rather wonderful label. I think this dates my coat to the early 1990s.


Finally the shoes are by Kat Maconie, a designer who I stalk on Ebay. While she does have a very popular line in huge towering heels, it's the unusual details on her flats I love, such as the gold-bar covered elastics on the side of these shoes. Her padded soles makes them fantastically comfortable to wear too. My stalking paid off as these were an Ebay steal: £20 and in immaculate condition.

As well as all being black and white, my purchases are also linked by the fact they were all bargains. Good news for me, as it means more money to go towards summer holidays. Or, at least, a proper summer holiday wardrobe.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...