Friday 8 February 2013

Last-Week Links: 8 February 2013


Eyes down. We're going to start this weekend off with some bingo. It was great to see one of my favourite bonkers buildings crop up on Great Little Place. Jon Reid took these stunning shots of Tooting's Granada Bingo hall, one of my favourite London oddities.

I've been going bingo bonkers this week, thanks to the Eyes Down! The Story of Bingo on the beeb (as recommended by My Friend's House). It charts its rise from seaside entertainment through the height of its popularity in the 1960s, when almost a quarter of the population were playing bingo, to the slick operation it is today. And about the only activity that can keep huge buildings like the Granada open.


Bingo also plays a part in my next find of the week. You may remember I visited Margate a while back and stood in wonder at the remains of the Dreamland entertainment park. I've only just learnt about the short film O Dreamland, filmed at the park in the 1950s which highlights just how 'fun' life was in that period, with delights like a 'torture gallery' serving as entertainment for the whole family. I'm not sure who looks more miserable: the visitors, the caged animals, or the dummy shown going round on a torture wheel. 


If you want to cheer yourself up, take a look at the listings for the next Kerry Taylor auction, happening this weekend. It's packed full of gorgeous examples of twentieth-century vintage fashion and accessories (and some nineteenth-century numbers too), from the likes of Balenciaga, Dior, Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Vivienne Westwood etc etc etc. Complete wardrobe fantasy.


I'm in love with this late 60s mini-dress by Radley, complete with a pattern by Celia Birtwell that would look perfect in 2013. Its estimated price is £150 to £250. That's completely reasonable, right?



If I'm allowed to indulge in some fantasy shopping, I think the new Karen Walker collection is out of this world ... literally. It's intergalactic planetary fantastic, full of gems like this Stellar dress.


And Calivintage featured the typically swoonsome Spring collection from Colenimo.


Thank goodness we can look at pretty pictures on the internet eh? I'd be a bit glum if I had to solely rely on bingo and torture chambers for my entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...