Saturday 12 May 2012

Last-Week Girl: 12 May 2012

Okay, in a bid to counter my rubbishness at regular posting, I've decided to try out doing regular weekly updates about what I've been up to, and to prove I have a life other than staring into a computer screen (truthfully lots of my life is spent staring into a computer screen).

Last week was one of those weeks when London just seems to work: amazing culture, food and people with very little effort. Of course, when London doesn't work, like when you queue for 90 minutes to eat somewhere or get stuck on a tube, it's the lowest level of sucky, so I like to revel in the 'good London' moments.

One example of London working: After previous failed efforts, I finally got to try out the Pitt Cue Company food without any queueing. I went with my new beau (who, as I obviously have to give him a ridiculous nickname, I'm calling Robo-H for reasons that will become clear later) to satisfy some of our Man Vs Food induced meat craving. Boy, was it nice. I'm still drooling over the bone marrow mash. We then waddled, full of food, over to the London Sci-Fi festival where we saw the Japanese film Robo-G (ha! see what I did?). It's heartwarming and bonkers and not really that sci-fi all at once. Thanks to that this song has been rattling around my head. All week:





On Sunday we made the most of the bank holiday, donned our best '50s rebel outfit and went to Stumblin' Slims. Rock n Roll is fantastic fun to dance to but repeated two minute blasts of franticness sure does take it out of you. Especially when my jive repertoire is limited to about two dance moves.  



For a cultural fix, on Monday I head over to the Leighton House Museum in Holland Park with Sian. One of the Victorian palaces of art, it was the opulent home of nineteenth century superstar artist Frederic Leighton. I'd been longing to see it since working on The Cult of Beauty book. It's wonderful, especially all the beautiful middle Eastern ceramics and tiles, and gives a completely different perspective on Victorian decor. 

On Wednesday I went to party 1990s style at the Friends gig at the Scala: it almost had me wishing I still owned a pair of cycling shorts. 

Thursday saw my flat being scoped out as a possible location for a new TV drama being set around Brixton. Judging from the scout's reaction to the space, I don't think we'll be chosen but I'm looking forward to seeing what they were actually looking for when the series eventually airs on channel 4. In the evening we enjoyed free tickets to The Sunshine Boys showing in the splendour of Savoy Theatre. Danny DeVito was hilarious and, trying to write this in the least patronising sounding way possible, it was really interesting to see how the older members of the audience responded to the subject matter of the play. 



Which brings me to yesterday, which saw the launch for a book I've been working on, The Ambassador Magazine. The Ambassador was a trade magazine which aimed to promote British industry in the late 1940s and 50s. It's a dry concept which masks a fascinating story. Founder Hans Juda approached the magazine with missionary zeal and set about the enlivening the subject matter in the most interesting way possible. They worked closely with artists and set up elaborate photo shoots, such as this one of Barbara Goalen on the roof of a textile mill in Lancashire, draped in some of their fabrics. It was photographed by Elsbeth Juda, Hans's wife. Elsbeth is now 101 and was able to attend the launch - the mini-speech she gave made me well up. I finished a busy week by running over to Shepherd's Bush Empire to see Ladyhawke. The crowd was a bit too Friday-ish piss up for my liking but Pip looked beautiful with mermaid-style locks and a seeming ever growing confidence. I'm looking forward to getting her new album as the last one is still on constant play on my iPod.

Hits on this blog have been going a bit bonkers due to some googling action following the sad death of uber-hairdresser Vidal Sassoon. I wrote about his film (which I'm still to see) here and Janey Ironside's verdict on his hairstyles here

And that's it for now. Phew. What have you been up to? 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that really was some good London-ing! Lots of things I've been wanting to do for ages, including Leighton House, Stumblin Slims and Pitt Cue. I haven't been to Pitt Cue since they moved to Soho and that is just sad. I want to get my Man vs Food (love!) on too...
    You should try the sweet chilli sauce - it is excellent! I had almost too much fun making all the condiments. X

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...