Saturday 21 January 2012

Screen testing



In the spirit of trying something new each week, last week I went to a screen-printing class at The Make Lounge. We were asked to bring images with us of things we'd like to print and typically I came armed with a whole stack of images and inspiration taken from the books at work. Here are my first attempts.

1) The letter F on a tote bag (placed off-centre but I did that on purpose, honest). I have a narcissistic love of things with my initial on them and the stars were partly inspired by all the fun and energy of some of Zandra Rhodes's initial parts but mostly because they are one of the things I like doodling. Or, as the tutor pointed out, it could be 'F' for 'Fireworks'. Yeah that.


2) In primary school, did you have that thing where your peg, drawer and seat were all marked with a symbol as well as your name? My symbol was a rose and I've loved them ever since. My rose print tea towel was a mixture of that and an attempt to mix some of the Art Deco-style roses from this book with a 70s print from this forthcoming book.

My fellow students produced some wonderful things including bicycles, houses, birds and cats and I would have happily taken home all of them.  I loved getting my head around the screen-printing process and the blocky and bright results and I really want to play around more with more colours and patterns.


At the moment my tea towel is covering my bedside table which itself is covered in things to cheer me up rather than anything especially useful, while my books, magazines and papers are sprawled all over the floor. Also on the table: a Marimekko mug from their beautiful Helsinki range, an Orla Kiely purse, a bowl and glass from a Tiger trip (my new favourite shop for 'bits') and Nancy and Betty seaside postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...